PLEASE DONATE TO THE NEW JEFFERSON COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER FUND

Slideshow by Michelle Mick of PAWS for CONSIDERATION


JOIN NOW TO HELP BUILD A NEW, NO KILL JCAC!

Google Groups
Subscribe to CITIZENS FOR A NEW JCAC
Email:
Visit this group

OUR ADOPTABLE PETS

Monday, February 4, 2008

The Voice of a Dog in a "Shelter"

I was brought here and I don't know why. They put me in this cage and they are pretty nice to me, they feed me and water me every day. Sometimes I get treats.

A nice lady used to come and take our pictures. She told us she was going to send the pictures to everyone she knew at rescue groups and help me find a home. She used to come in every week.

I heard today that she can't take pictures of me anymore. The boss lady told the nice lady that it was a liability for her to take my picture. They said she could slip and fall with her camera. The nice lady told the boss lady that she could slip and fall anywhere with her camera. The boss lady said yes, but the city doesn't want to have to replace her camera. This doesn't make sense because I thought I was here because I needed a home. Why won't the boss lady let the nice lady help find me a home?

The boss lady says that SHE will take my picture and give it to the nice lady from now on. But the nice lady takes all of our pictures. The guys next to me need homes, too. What if the boss lady doesn't take their pictures too?

I hear that we will go to another shelter to get a home. I hear that shelter kills a lot of the dogs there when they don't find homes. I thought that's why the nice lady was there to take our picture, so we didn't have to go to the other shelter. I'm afraid if I go to the other shelter I will die. I think I was better off running loose without a home. At least I would be able to stay alive. The nice lady can go to the shelter where they kill dogs and take my picture. Nobody tells her it's a liability. Not yet.

I hear at Stray Rescue, The Humane Society, and the ASPCA let kids come in and play with us and take us for walks. The boss lady says that can't happen here because it's a liability. The rescue group ladies can't take us out of the shelter to attend adoption events so we can find a home. The boss lady says it's a liability.

I wonder who says everything is a liability? I want to run, I want to find a home, and I want someone to care for me. I'm afraid if I stay here, they will put me in the truck and take me to the other place where I will die.

The nice lady asked the boss lady if she and other rescue groups could have more than 3 dogs so we could stay with them until we found a home. The boss lady said no. The nice lady said why, and the boss lady said because of rabies. And noise. And a lot of other things, and the limit ordinance will never allow rescues to foster if they have more than 3 dogs. I'm getting scared. I'm beginning to think I am not going to live very long. Rescue groups don't see dogs with rabies anymore. Not since we all had to get vaccinated every year. And if they did, they wouldn't bring them into their home, would they? They'd take the sick dog to the doctor first.

Who is this "liability?" Why does he hate us so much? Does he want us to die? What did we do to him? I wish he liked me. Then I would have a chance to live, the nice lady could come and take my pictures, and we could find a home.

I am getting scared. I can't go outside and I can't go for walks with people. All I can do is stand here in my cage and hope somebody will adopt me. If nobody does, I don't know what will happen to me. Where is the nice lady? Why won't she come back? She was helping us find homes.

I am so, so scared. I want to get out of here. If I don't find a home, they will kill me.

No comments:

RESCUES CAN'T SAVE LIVES WITH PET LIMIT LAWS

Pet Limit Laws Limit Rescue Organizations and other Responsible Pet Owners, Not Irresponsible Pet Owners
An irresponsible pet owner will be irresponsible with one -- or 20 -- pets! Until a city can write an ordinance that forces people to CARE about their animals, a few irresponsible pet owners will continue to indirectly help in the killing of healthy, adoptable animals at kill shelters everywhere.
A rescue organization member is trained in how to handle more than 3 dogs, is responsible enough to say, "I can't handle any more dogs right now," pays to spay/neuter, vaccinate, and put pets on heartworm and flea prevention, and gives much needed additional time for the pet to find its forever home.

We have asked the City of Arnold to allow rescue organizations the opportunity to save more lives by going over the pet limit every now and then to save a life. Our many requests are falling on deaf ears.

If you believe the City of Arnold could -- and should -- tolerate rescue groups enough to make an exception to the dog limit every now and then to save a life, please contact Mary Holden at mholden@arnoldmo.org and Matt Unrein at munrein@arnoldmo.org, and contact your city council representatives and tell them there is such a thing as COOPERATION between government and citizens! We're doing it for the New JCAC Shelter Fund!